His idea, his rules. Sounds like a good kick to start reading this summer. His website is oliverdelapaz.com.
The Oliver De La Paz
Summer Reading Challenge Rules:
1) Pick 15 books that you would like to finish this summer--any genre, any size. This list doesn't have to be at 15 right from the start. It will grow as the summer continues.
2) Of the 15 books, designate 3 that you recommend to co-participants. (After you've read them, of course).
3) Of the 15 books, 3 of the books must be from recommendations by other participants.
4) Post your 15 book list somewhere with a link so that co-participants can link you on their webpages, tumblr pages, or blogs.
5) Hold yourself accountable by posting commentary about a book you've just read. Commentary can also take the form of something creative or artistic.
6) The Challenge Ends August 31st. Have fun.
My list of 12 (with the intention of picking three from other lists):
Master and the Margarita-Bulgakov (for an online salon)
Zombie Wars - Hemon
Fishbowl - Somer
Kitchens of the Great Midwest - Stradal ****disappointing, a bit unrealistic for me to relate to
The Good Shufu - Slater**** really good memoir
The Eye Stone - Tiraboschi
Blackbird - Tom Wright
Imperium - Kracht
Bright Dead Things - Limon
Watchmen - Moore (for a class)
Bastards - King ****excellent memoir, heartbreaking but worthwhile
Bootstrapper - Link